Sunday, April 27, 2014

Drawing "Caprice" on a Whim

In March of 2013 I started a series of drawings based on a china beaker I bought in Filene's Basement many years ago. The bottom says,

"CAPRICE"
WREN
Fine Bone China    Made in England.



I have a set of four – two of them I bought in Bermuda back in the 1990s – and I use them for tea regularly.



I was especially intrigued by the four figures inside the architectural window frames and decided to draw them large scale on my 11" x 14" sketchpad. I used an HB pencil and black Tombo marker.

Image I From "Caprice" Wren – Fine Bone China Beaker  – 3/2/14

One of the biggest challenges was getting the proportions correct for each figure.

Image II From "Caprice" Wren – Fine Bone China Beaker – 3/10/13


As far as I can tell, each figure is involved in some domestic pursuit or getting ready to go out.

Image III From "Caprice" Wren – Fine Bone China Beaker – 4/17/13

I have two title ideas for this series and I'm not sure which I will use yet:

Answer The Call

or

Look Harder


Image IV From "Caprice" Wren – Fine Bone China Beaker – 3/2/14

My current idea is to frame these using the image/photo of a worn brick wall on paper and tearing the paper so the edges are ragged. I just haven't found the right paper and image yet. I'm also not sure if I will frame each drawing in a wood frame or leave them loose.


I think the Look Harder title will work really well with "brick wall" paper frames.

Stay tuned. I may change my mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment