Sunday, April 8, 2018

A New Chain Of Events: My Antique Lantern Is Now Hung

In last month's post, I included a photo of the vintage lantern I found in Georgetown, TX.

Here's a close up I took of it...







One thing I noticed as I was removing the top to replace the bulb, is that the word
M E X I C O
is embossed on one side. Makes sense for an antique lantern purchased in Texas.


Last weekend I was feeling at least semi-ambitious and finally hung the lantern in a corner of my living room by the window.
























I chose this spot because I think the lantern's black wrought iron complements the floor candelabra rather nicely.

I used two large black hooks that screw into the ceiling for a simple clean look. The lantern only weighs about four or five pounds so it didn't require drilling holes or anything that complicated.

The most difficult part of this project was threading the electrical cord through the black metal chain (part of a lighting swag kit I found at my local Home Depot). I had to use two sets of pliers to bend the chain links. I'm not confident enough to splice electrical wires so I just used a brown extension cord to reach the plug at the side of the fireplace wall. The nice thing is, this plug is controlled by a dimmer switch so I don't have to have the lantern on at full power.




















I like the hunting print that hangs on the wall below the lantern, but I'm considering this 11" x 14" wallpaper collage I created a number of years ago as a possible replacement:


I think it works better thematically with the black wrought iron, though I should probably have it framed first. I'll keep you posted...

Olé



No comments:

Post a Comment