Sunday, November 6, 2011

Torero! Vintage Wallpaper Collage


This is the largest wallpaper collage I've done so far. It measures 17" x 24", which is about the full size of the wallpaper sample. This piece is entitled, Torero! on vintage Salon de Paris wallpaper with fishnet.


First, I drew the bullfighter by copying an illustration from a vintage LP cover, Torero! Music of the Bullfight. The original definitely looks like a watercolor. I used colored pencils and Tombo markers to achieve a similar effect.


In addition to the difficulty in getting the proportions of the drawing correct, cutting and pasting the drawing onto the wallpaper was also a challenge. Originally, I was going to use blue and red party toothpicks for the arrows attached to the bull, but I managed to cut them out successfully from the drawing.

I added the fishnet last to give the piece a more gothic feeling suggested by the very dark wallpaper (Can you imagine having wallpaper this dark in your house today?!). I wasn't sure how to attach the fishnet to keep it taut. I thought thumbtacks might work but they were a bit too long and would have pushed through the foamboard. So, I used black thread to tie the fishnet in the back:


It looks very much like a mess of spiderwebs, doesn't it?

Check back here in December, when I post the Christmas wallpaper collages I completed last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment