Sunday, October 20, 2013

MFA Day – Exhibit A

I finally made it out to the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston for the first time in years, and, though crowded, it was a great day.

I limited myself to viewing two exhibits. The first was John Singer Sargent's watercolors.

Here is a sampling, reproduced on convenient postcards:

(Clockwise, from top):
In a Medici Villa, 1906;
Corfu: Lights and Shadows, 1909;
Venice: Under the Rialto Bridge, 1909
The Bridge of Sighs, 1903-1904;

I hadn't realized he was such a prolific artist, and after my recent foray into watercolor painting, I can truly appreciate how a master used the medium.

I was especially impressed with how he created shadows. I also like how some paintings were very deliberately structured while others were more abstract (more typical of watercolor than other media).

And, since I've actually visited Venice, I appreciate that I can recognize the Rialto Bridge and Bridge of Sighs, two of that city's most iconic features (sigh).

No comments:

Post a Comment