Sunday, October 20, 2013

MFA Day – Exhibit B

The second exhibit I viewed at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston was the fun and lighthearted Hippie Chic. Though I was just a young child during the '60s, I can certainly appreciate the colorful fashion and classic rock music of the period. Totally groovy, man.

Women's outfit designed by Barry & Yosha Finch, circa 1970.


Though the styles shown at this exhibit were primarily couture – many from British designers of the period, like Ossie Clark –  the bright colors and mix of fabrics are instantly recognizable from countless magazine covers and knock-offs people wore back then. Velvet, Qiana, ruffled "prairie" dresses, caftans, bell-bottom pants, fringe and crazy ethnic patterns were all represented.

Hippie women – far out, man!

Love the riot of colors! The patchwork dress in the back is by Geoffrey Beene. The green tie-dyed silk number is by Roy Halston Frowick, 1969.

Men's clothing was also on exhibit:

My fantasy hippie?

I guess I got so excited, I couldn't quite hold my camera steady.

Oh, behave!



No comments:

Post a Comment