Saturday, December 21, 2013

A Very Vintage Christmas 2013

While most of the world seemed to "cut back" on excess consumption this year, my vintage Christmas collections continued to grow, starting with my giant vintage Noel candles.



I normally don't shop on eBay, but these were priced well and in really good condition so I went for it. The flames pop off to reveal 15-watt bulbs.

The backs say, "Carolina Enterprises, Inc. 1973."


Back in the 1970s these were "hot" – often appearing on suburbanites' front stoops or on either side of the front door – along with large C9 Christmas lights decorating bushes. (Those of us who are vintage enough will also remember the trend of covering your front door in usually red or gold foil and placing a spotlight in the yard to shine on the door).

I decided the candles would fit well on either side of my fireplace.


Also new and vintage this year is a C6 pinecone light I found at Brimfield. It probably dates to the 1920s. This photo isn't great, but the light is actually covered in chipped green paint.

It's the light at the far left on the mantel greens.



As I've been doing for quite a few years, my live Christmas tree is imported from South Windsor, CT. This one is especially tall – about 7 1/2'.


This time I used vintage C7 lights because I found some new figurals. My favorite is the Cat & The Fiddle, which I found on ebay as part of a lot.

Vintage C7 Cat & The Fiddle milk glass light. Most likely dates from the 1950s.

I also found this snowman at Brimfield. Along with the cat, this is usually difficult to find.



In addition to lights, I found vintage gift wrap and ornaments at Brimfield this year.

Vintage 1970s? gift wrap. Note the unusual design along with the black, red and gold color combo.
The bells are marked "Germany" on the caps – unfortunately, I broke one trying to hang it near the top of my tree :(
More vintage gift wrap (same bells as above).



Happy Vintage Christmas to all... and to all a good light!



No comments:

Post a Comment