Friday, December 23, 2016

Xmas 2016: Gangster Snowmen & Psychedelic Butterflies

As a devout collector of vintage Christmas, this time of year is always fun because I can freely display the year's latest treasures.

In general, I'm a traditionalist when it comes to the holidays, but I'm always on the hunt for something that's unique, quirky or irreverent. The great thing about vintage Christmas items is that, for the most part, they were mass-produced, unless you go way, way back. The challenge with lights and glass ornaments is they're highly breakable, so to find these intact becomes rarer as the years go by.

In a previous post, I photographed my mini light-up gangster snowman (a cool Brimfield find from this past summer). I placed him in my hallway next to the "Chairman" gangster snowman. This no-nonsense duo I'll leave out through the winter.



This is the original box he arrived in:



Also in my hallway: my annual "Fantasy Tree" with 1940s fluorescent lights. This year I acquired the psychedelic glitter butterflies at Brimfield for a great bargain price.





As you wander further down my hallway (think bowling alley that ends in an "L"), there's a vintage 1940 chandelier. This year I purchased new red Christmas tree shades from Ballard Designs. I added the mini green glass ornaments.



In the kitchen, I placed my musical Santa head on a glass tray with pine cones surrounding him. The Santa was a gift from one of my aunts last Christmas. He dates from 1973 and plays Jingle Bells when you turn his head -- SO much fun!



 

My living room holds the most decorations, partly because it's the largest room in my place, and its red, gold and pink color scheme makes it an ideal backdrop for Christmas decorations.























The green card says, "Put the jingle in your bell,
the merry in your Christmas,
the fa in your la-la-la.
Just don't get your tinsel in a tangle."
























This year's live tree is, once again, imported from South Windsor, CT, and smells GREAT!
I had originally planned to use C-9 outdoor lights, but decided I didn't have enough to fill the tree, and they would burn too hotly, even on a dimmer switch. So, I used C-7 lights instead, in primarily red and yellow to complement the living room colors. I also used tinsel to add to the brightness.

 



The pair of large window candles I found on eBay. When I was looking at them online, I thought they were C-9 size, but they're actually larger — the flame bulbs are 25 watts, normal lamp fixture size. I think they're sort of rare. I don't recall ever seeing candles this large at anyone's house, at least.
























There are at least a few vintage ornaments on the tree that are new this year, including these...










































Even my front door received a decor lift with this frosty swag I found at Home Goods. I added the four silver and gold glass clusters.




























































Naturally, in addition to decorating for the holidays, I also enjoy wrapping gifts. It's another opportunity to express myself creatively. I found a few sheets of vintage gift wrap to make it even more fun. I'm guessing they date from the 1960s...





























 

May your New Year be peaceful and vintage happy!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment