Sunday, August 25, 2019

Another Summer Highlight: Downton Abbey Visit Via Boston

In this age of TV binge watching, I don't often get hooked on many shows, but in the fairly recent past, I did fully indulge in watching Downton Abbey every Sunday night on PBS. It was the rare show that never sagged or became complacent after a few seasons. Each hour-plus episode went by so quickly, it felt as though maybe 15 minutes had passed. This show had it all: believable, nuanced, complex characters; highly detailed sets and costumes that surpassed your typical "period piece"; superb acting; and engrossing plot twists that made you eagerly anticipate the next episode.

Fortunately, I was able to relive events and moments from the show by visiting Downton Abbey The Exhibition, a limited-time engagement at the Park Plaza Castle in Boston. It's in Boston through the end of September, then scheduled to move to the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, North Carolina.

Herewith are a handful of highlights from my visit...

UPSTAIRS

I was ushered into the estate with much pomp and circumstance - they were expecting me after all.























Caught Mary in a pensive, "Whatever will become of me" mood.
Saw a few more familiar faces (one, a ghost) as I wandered about.
Elaborate day wear on view in chocolate brown - dessert, anyone?
Elaborate evening wear on view - dinner and dancing, anyone?
Lace noir - close-up of skirt.
I dare say, NOT.
"Your table is ready, my lord."
Fine Dining upstairs
"Psst, waiter, my soup is getting cold."

DOWNSTAIRS

 
I rang and rang for the servants but no one answered.
Must have missed the "Bell out of order, please knock" sign.

It was a long wait, but I tried not to lose my head about it.
Colonel Mustard did it in the Library?

Unfortunately, Carson was indisposed at the moment.
Actually, Carson and Mrs. Hughes were both indisposed at the moment. Hmm...
Not So Fine Dining downstairs.
They slice. They dice.
Mrs. Patmore - call me "Beryl" - needs you to stop chit-chatting and get to work!

Can't wait to see what develops when the movie comes out in September.
Expectations are undoubtedly high.

No comments:

Post a Comment